Wednesday 11 July 2012

At the Movies: 2012

I recently sought out to determine how many times I've been to the cinema this year. I have only gone to Event Cinemas Macquarie (due to convenience and reliability) and have always booked online. Checking my email account, it turns out I've been to the cinemas sixteen times this year, seeing fifteen movies. In the interest of doing things for no reason, I intend to write a brief review of each movie, score out of 10, then rank them at the end. I'll be reviewing each movie in order of when I saw them.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
Solid Film. Enjoyed the banter between Sherlock (Downer Jr) and Watson (Jude Law). The movie did seem to get a bit slow around the middle, but sped up towards the end providing a  gripping finish. Jared Harris (the pom off Mad Men) provided an enjoyable depiction of Moriarty, with Stephen Fry playing Holmes' brother with his familiar pomposity.
Rating: 7/10

The Adventures of Tintin (3D)
I went into this film expecting to be dissapointed. I was relieved to discover that Spielberg had provided a faithful adaptation of the comics, with stunning visual effects. The movie really felt like I was reading one of Herge's comics. I liked that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) were cast as the bumbling detectives Thomson and Thompson. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Rating: 8/10

Hugo
I saw this film after having read and heard a lot of the hype surrounding the film. The Visual effects were well and truly worth the hype. From the opening scene where the camera peered across Paris, I couldn't help but be transfixed. Scorcese does a great job in communicating his own sense of wonder about old cinema to the audience. Time Magazine declared the film to be a love poem by Scorcese. They couldn't be any more correct, and what a remarkable love poem it is.
Rating: 9/10

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
I hadn't seen the previous adaptations of Stieg Larsson's book, and didn't know what to expect. The film was utterly engaging, thrilling, and distressing. David Fincher made very location appear bleak, reinforcing the isolation each of the main characters feels. Rooney Mara was remarkable. You couldn't help but be transfixed by her portrayal of the strong yet vulnerable Lisbeth Salander. A great film.
Rating: 9/10

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (3D)
I've always been more than happy to stand up for Episode I. Despite Jar Jar, depite the cheesy script, despite the confusion midichlorins added to the star wars universe. But this was dissapointing. The 3D did nothing to further enhance the film with the conversion to 3D making everything appear blurry. The Pod Race was good, as was the encounter with Darth Maul (Which I maintain is the best Star Wars lightsaber fight). By the end I felt tired due to the blur, and dissapointed.
Rating: 6/10

The Descendants
Loved this one. Beautiful scenery from Hawaii. Great performances by everyone. Engaging story, engaging characters.
Rating: 9/10

My Week with Marilyn
What a great film. Michelle Williams plays Marilyn Munroe brilliantly, transfixing the audience. The movie really revolves around the character of Colin Clark and his experiences on the set. Eddie Redmayne plays Colin well,communicating Colin's innocence and fascination of Ms Munroe. It was a pity that Emma Watson was playing such a minor role.
Rating: 9/10

John Carter (3D)
I can't understand the indifference directed towards this film. This was better than Avatar. It created the kind of world that hadn't been seen in a movie since Star Trek or Lord of the Rings. It had great villians, great special effects and a great plot. How could anyone accuse the plot of this movie as being confusing while praising films like The Prestige or Inception? This was the best epic film since Star Trek.
Rating: 9/10

The Hunger Games
So much hype. Thank goodness it was all warranted. It was great watching Jennifer Lawrence try to think she was innocent after killing someone with a bee hive. A bee hive! Can't wait for the next movie.
Rating: 8/10

21 Jump Street
Channing Tatum finally playing the perfect role. This was the funniest movie I've seen since Superbad. Humour wasn't too low-brow and there was just enough slapstick. Also loved the entire dynamic of the high school they were infiltrating.
Rating: 8/10

The Avengers (3D) 
I saw this movie twice. Was simply awesome. Who can complain about a franchise where they are able to just casually add in actors such as Scarlett Johannson. Mark Ruffalo was excellent as the hulk. Also great to see Chris Evans in an all round better movie then Captain America.
Rating: 9/10

Iron Sky
Nazis from the Moon! the first half of this movie was simply terrible. But as the Nazi Invasion began it started becoming more and more serious. If the movie hadn't become seriousthis movie could have well gone down as one of the worst releases of the year. Ends up having a strong message, just a pity that they didn't take themselves seriously enough for the first half of the movie.
Rating: 5/10

The Dictator
Terrible. What a let down. Way too crude. Some good throw away lines like "Is it a boy, or an abortion?" that really look awful when they aren't placed in their proper context.
Rating: 4/10

Men In Black 3 (3D) 
Solid. Fitting conclusion to the Men in Black franchise. Will Smith hasn't changed and neither has J. Brolin makes a solid addition to the cast, playing a younger version of K. The film captures all the best parts of the previous two films. It captures the gore, the humour, the irrelevance. Not as strong as the first MIB, but better then the second.
Rating: 7/10

Snow White and the Huntsman
What do you mean this isn't in 3D? I'd grown so accustomed to seeing movies like this in 3D that I was almost in a state of disbelief when I discovered the movie was in 2D. After my initial dissapointment, I'm happy to report that Snow White was a  great movie. It had great beasts, great performances. Plus I finally understand why Kristen Stewart is considerd attractive. The film is barely girly at all, and has some great battle sequences.
Rating: 8/10

2012 Movie Rankings (till 12/07/12)

  1. My Week with Marilyn
  2. The Descendants
  3. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  4. The Avengers (3D)
  5. Hugo (3D)
  6. John Carter (3D)
  7. 21 Jump Street
  8. The Hunger Games
  9. The Adventures of Tintin (3D) 
  10. Snow White and the Huntsman
  11. Men in Black III (3D)
  12. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
  13. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (3D)
  14. Iron Sky
  15. The Dictator

I'll probably update this list each time I watch a movie. Probably...

No comments:

Post a Comment